We've stayed in this apartment before, just under 2 years ago at New Year, and it was truly excellent, very highly presented and maintained. However, it seems that management may have changed in the meantime.
This time we felt things had slipped in terms of quality: there were quite a few dead light bulbs especially in the main bedroom, the battery in the bathroom scales was dead, an access hatch in bathroom ceiling had been left open, a drawer handle was falling off, a "towel" left on the bed turned out to be a bath mat and so on. Minor things, each of them individually, but they build up to a pattern suggestive of a lack of care and attention to detail.
We also noticed things missing, like the big glass table in living room, a missing picture, the lack of any liquid hand soap in the bathroom (previously provided) - and where has the kitchen bin gone? It was really annoying having nowhere to put rubbish.
At check-in we were provided with toilet rolls and dishwasher tablets, which gave us the impression that these things were now being rationed a bit. Also, when we last stayed, there was a fresh pint of milk in the fridge ready for us to use. Not this time.
The biggest concern was that the gas fire in the living room was not working properly (previously a little tricksy to operate, now it just didn't work). It was kind of glossed over quickly at check-in, but it's not simply an issue of heating (the place is plenty warm enough) - there is a far more serious question about safety if a gas fire is not functioning properly. Annual servicing of gas appliances in rented property is mandatory, yet there's no certificate available in the apartment to check this.
For sure, the apartment still looks the part on the surface. It's when you look closely that you can see a distinct difference in how it's being maintained now compared to when we first stayed there. All in all, we had the feeling that things are being skimped on, corners are being cut and the apartment's no longer quite as luxurious a stay as it had been previously - which is what you're paying for, after all. We'll look for somewhere else next time.
A lovely apartment in a great location BUT it looks as though maintenance and quality standards are slipping. See my comments on customer experience for details. They are mostly minor things but they add up to an overall impression of lack of care - except about the £££.
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are sorry to hear of the issues you found during your stay. We have passed all of your comments onto the Property Manager who, where necessary, will take the steps to make the improvements at the property. We can assure you that the gas fire has been serviced in accordance with regulations. However it is not compulsory to display the certificate in the property, as stated on the Gas Safe Register website: If the rental period is less than 28 days at a time you may display a copy of the record in a prominent position within the dwelling. Despite these issues we do hope you enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh.
review via Feefo.com